Sunday, December 15, 2013

A late Thanksgiving meal

Last weekend, I finally pulled my Steckler's Grassfed turkey from the freezer and began preparations for our Thanksgiving meal here at home. Often on holidays we are stretched too far with other family obligations to enjoy much of the blessings for which the holiday calls, i.e. Thanksgiving, Christmas, Independence Day, Easter... lol!

 Here was my menu!
Roasted Grassfed Turkey
Sweet Potato Casserole with Pecans
 Greenbean Casserole (greenbeans we harvested this summer)
Cranberry Sauce
Wheat Rolls with homemade applebutter (apples we picked)
 Pumpkin Pie (pumpkins we picked) with whipped cream (homemade!)

 The only CAN I opened was evaporated milk for the pumpkin pie! :D I have made several turkeys (sometimes we opt for duck for our Thanksgiving meal at home), and never dried one out or overcooked it. Well, this year was no exception! :) In fact it was THE BEST turkey I have EVER eaten!!! I promise I am not being partial or biased. My husband, who isn't much of a turkey fan (see above about duck) couldn't stop from stuffing every few bits in his mouth while carving. lol!

I made completely from scratch casseroles, cranberries, rolls, and whipped cream. I bought a frozen pie crust though. ;/ I put the spread together in about 4 hours! We ate leftovers for lunch 2 days!



Today, after simmering the carcass overnight, I made Italian Wedding Soup! Only I replaced the pasta with Cannelini Beans! SOOO Yummy and warm!



It made a HUGE pot! Enough for lunch and dinner!! Along with the soup for dinner, I am making my VERY FIRST batch of SOURDOUGH!!! We love sourdough, so I hope I did it right!!

Rise baby!!!

My starter!
 We are counting our blessings! Even though we lost again this year...  Did you count yours today? God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment